Sunday, September 5, 2010

Health & Wellness

This past week my body has decided to cause me a great amount of pain. The medication I have for managing said pain wont actually work for another month or so when my system finally decides to work with it. Until then I've been thinking to myself..."self, this is no way to live."
I'm a vain person by nature. I'll admit it. I'm not fond of the tire that's wrapped itself around my middle, or the fact that my pants are a bit snug for my taste, but so far that vanity hasn't really set me into a pattern of taking care of myself. I have a weight line that I refuse to go over but I have to wonder if that's doing me any good if I'm on the cusp?
Now I'm not on here to whine about my large bottom. I know why it's there. I've been lazy and quite frankly amiss in taking care of myself. I stress eat like a mad woman and I often feel so run down after work/school that I simply want to take it easy and do nothing. (Crazy thing is, if I started exercising I would have more energy.)
This week has been sort of a wake up call. Although I know that losing some weight wont fix much about my endometriosis, I do know that my overall health would be better and I would be able to cope with the pain that comes with my condition easier. I would also have more energy, have a good outlet for my stress (other than eating) and although I may not lose the 50 pounds my head seems to think I should, my self esteem would increase and I would overall be a happier person. I also have this great fear of developing diabetes or several other conditions that run in my family that have to do with the heart. I worry about that a lot.
So it's time for me to take control. I've enlisted the help of my brother in law Nathan, (who was in SEALS training might I add, he's a mad man when it comes to fitness! he's pretty amazing!) Although I don't think I will EVER be at his level he said he would help me figure out a routine I could stick with and would be of a short duration each day so it would be easy to fit into my schedule. The whole thing just depends on how bad I want it. 45 minutes doesn't seem like a long time, it's barely longer than a tv show, but for some reason when it comes to exercising my brain goes, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?! THAT'S FOREVER!!! haha. So I have to make the commitment and do it. I have to push through and say, you know, at 7:00 tonight I'm done with my homework and all that, it's time to go work out.
I'm excited at this new goal. Although I'm a bit nervous because I've never been good at sticking with things. I don't have a weight loss goal, (I'm sure my dusty wiifit would be sad at me for that) I simply want to feel better and I know that with watching what I eat and doing more with my body that eventually I will lose a few pounds.
As an embarrassing attempt to keep myself in check I will post my current weight and update it every two weeks. It's not comfortable to share and I'm not trying to make anyone else roll their eyes, but I somehow NEED to be accountable that I am actually doing a program and working on my overall health. (overall includes spiritually, and mentally as well...) :0)
So on this date my current weight is: 173.4 lbs

Now I know that the number doesn't mean much. Muscle weighs more than fat so on so forth but this is simple measurement I can do every two weeks that will keep me in line. I also know that by simply doing a crash diet i can lose about 10 pounds and oh wow wouldn't that be awesome, but the goal here is not really to lose weight (although that may happen) the goal is to get healthy. I just don't think it would work for me to post what each workout was and all that to prove I'm doing it. But I'm sure with updates on the scale number as well as posting about how my general health is that will be a good indication that I am doing some kind of routine.
So until my next Health & Wellness post on September 19th see you all later!

*some of my goals and ideas came from this article
http://www.thirdage.com/cholesterol/25-ways-to-make-exercise-routine
:0)

3 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! I know that you can do it, I need to do it with you. I need to get healthy so I can have more energy and maybe it will help with my self-esteem and of course...so I don't kill my husband!!! ( Exercise creates endorphins, endorphins make you happy, Happy people don't kill their husbands !! ) I am here for support, and maybe we can check on each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me! Keep me in check will ya!? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! Maybe I should do it with you! Let me know if there's ever anything I can do for ya!

    ReplyDelete