Friday, April 26, 2013

New Job!



So this is where I will be working soon!

I am so excited/grateful/blessed that I have this opportunity. It's one of those things that I am truly humbled by.

Once upon a time my mother became very ill and needed a blood transfusion. I've had other loved ones that have needed it as well, or needed plasma, or platelets. So when I was of age I started donating blood. I admit my reasons were not always selfless. Um, YOU GET COOKIES?! Yeah, if dessert is involved I'm usually there. I also did it because sick as this sounds I have always been fascinated by blood. Even as a little kid I thought it was cool. If I happened to hurt myself playing or riding my bike or whatever, even if it hurt I couldn't help but stare at my wound with fascination. How the body can regenerate and heal itself is amazing!
So anyway, I also wanted to feel cool like I helped someone who might need it. I know, I know, not the most generous of motives. But gradually as I learned about blood donation and about my own blood type (All O Neg say AYE-YO!) I realized the great importance of blood donation.

Here is a link to INBC's page that can give a ton of info to anyone who wants to know more. My fingers would get cramped if I tried to type all of it here! lol
http://www.inbc2.org/Donating_Blood/About_Blood/Blood_Facts.html

So anyway, after learning some of these facts I realized how important a service it was to donate blood. For me personally I feel the need also because my blood type can go to anyone, although it is ideal to receive your specific blood type. I decided because of that I would donate any chance I got. And I have. There have been times when because of medication or other I haven't been able to and that always made me sad. This is one thing in my life that I know my service is valuable.
After moving here 6 years ago I decided I register my name with INBC. It's not that I'm against the Red Cross or any other organization, I've donated with other places too. And I can say I've never had a bad experience. I just liked the atmosphere if INBC, so I've stuck with them.
I'm not sure why I never thought of pursuing phlebotomy as a career before where I am so passionate about blood donation. For one I didn't even know that it was called. I also thought for a long time it was nurses who did the procedure so I knew I wasn't up for that! But then about this time last year I saw an ad in the paper for the INBC for a phlebotomist. I called and asked a ton of questions about what the job was and how someone got certified for that. Well it turned out our very own LCSC had a course I could take. (Right place, right time, right frame of mind? Yes indeed.) We actually have two colleges you can take the course from up here. The Clarkston branch of the Walla Walla Community College also teaches it.
For years I had been searching for something I could gain an education and actually use in real life so I thought, hey this is a trade I would love to learn! And I did. It was hard but rewarding. But also nerve wracking. Because two colleges serve to train people in clinical phlebotomy there aren't often jobs open in this area.
I was more than nervous about the fact I had spent a lot of money on a education that I might lose my skills in if I didn't use them soon. I had several job interviews and nothing was working out. I was frustrated and angry with myself. I felt like a failure. Happily my Heavenly Father has a bigger perspective than me.
I've had to wait a year to donate because of traveling to Mexico. (See former posts about what happened when I was finally able to go again.)
Ta-da! It's been a trial of patience for sure. Two interviews, a quick check from previous employers and such, filling out a ton of paperwork, a drug screen, and now waiting on Texas to show in my final background check that I'm not some criminal freak. Once all of that is finished I go to Spokane May 13 to start my training. Over about 8 weeks they will have me training in the procedure for blood donation. (In class I learned more for clinical venipuncture.)  This is a whole different monster.

I am going to be 30 this year. I know that isn't old but I thought I would have more under my belt by now in way of experience in life. I finally feel like I might be on the right track. I will be doing a job I love that helps others. I have felt for a long time that if I could have a career where I help people, and maybe leave the world a little better each day then I would be truly happy. I am grateful for my time in our family business. They have had a lot of patience with me, but I am so excited to move forward and feel rewarded at the end of each day. That's not to say it's going to be easy or perfect. Then it wouldn't be so fulfilling.

My challenge to anyone who reads this is two things.
1 - If you are eligible take a look at donating blood if you haven't before. If you've had a bad experience from someone who is inexperienced doing the procedure try again.  If you are unable to give blood look into ways you can help your community blood banks. If it is a local organization or a national one it never hurts to ask, and most of them always need volunteers.
2 - Find what fulfills your heart. None of us are immune to feeling underwhelmed with our lives. I'm sure we each have moments were we don't think our real potential is being met. But that's the beauty of this world. We are never to old or young to see what we want to be. I encourage all of you to examine yourself and then find a way to be truly happy. You deserve it. If the way isn't clear, take tiny steps ahead but keep moving forward.

Thank you everyone who has supported me and pushed me and even held me back at times. It's brought me to where I am today and that's a good place to be.
love,
H

No comments:

Post a Comment